Learn more about the MSI Contributor
The path to creating more sustainable products requires a clear understanding of the environmental performance of the materials used in those products. This requires reliable and comparable data.
Right now, companies are collecting an extraordinary amount of information from their supply chains, but they are using different methods and approaches to understand environmental impacts. This makes it impossible to compare environmental impacts of materials and empower the industry to make more sustainable choices.
The Higg MSI sets a standard approach to collecting life cycle assessment data for apparel, footwear and textile materials. By measuring all materials in a common way, we empower the industry to compare materials and make informed choices that are more sustainable for the planet.
Higg MSI Components
The Higg MSI has three key components (use the link below for more information):
- Taxonomy: a way to collect and organize material production data.
- Materials data: verified cradle-to-gate material data that meet specific Higg MSI requirements.
- Scoring methodology: a way to interpret the data. The Higg MSI translates material production data into a single environmental score.
Learn more about The Higg MSI in this video:
By submitting your data to The Higg MSI, you contribute to an industry materials database of environmental information. You will be able to differentiate your materials from competitors'. Your will also contribute to an unprecedented repository of information and deepen environmental understanding within the industry. Finally, you will be able to use this information to make more sustainable decisions in your business.
Learn more here:
Here are some suggested steps for data submission:
- Watch the video below.
- Read The Higg MSI Methodology documentat. You can download this document from the section above called What is The Higg MSI?
- Log in and get comfortable using The MSI Contributor.
- Prepare your data.
- Enter and submit your data.
- Work with the MSI Gatekeeper to get your data approved.
After data is submitted via The Higg MSI Contributor, it is reviewed by the MSI Gatekeeper. This review will determine if new or updated data meets Higg MSI requirements may be entered into The Higg MSI. Once the data is approved, it will be modeled and scored by a Data Manager. Once it is scored, the submitter may need to pay a fee for the quality assurance process to learn the results. Then the submitter may make a final decision about publication of their results in The Higg MSI.
Higg MSI use in Other Higg Product Tools
The Higg MSI is also used in The Higg Design & Development Module (DDM). This tool is for designers and developers to score products early in the creation process. The output is a benchmarked product design score. Higg MSI material scores are used as part of the overall design score.
In the future, Higg MSI results will be used in SAC's Higg Product Module. This tool will be used to calculate the environmental impact of a finished product. It is expected to launch in mid-2019.
Security and Confidentiality
SAC agrees to:
- Hold the data in strict trust and confidence.
- Refrain from disclosing or permitting others to disclose the data to any third party without obtaining your express prior written consent on a case by case basis.
- SAC will protect the data from unauthorized use, access, or disclosure in the same manner as SAC protects its own confidential or proprietary information of a similar nature, and with no less than the greater of reasonable care and industry-standard care.
- Security Overview: SecurityOverview.pdf (290150 KB)
- Many of your questions may be answered by the The Higg MSI Methodology document under What is The Higg MSI?
- If you still need help, feel free to reach out to SAC at email@example.com or click on the Help widget in the lower right hand corner.